Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus [Хроническая обструктивная болезнь легких у больных, инфицированных вирусом иммунодефицита человека]

The aim of the study was to examine the role of COPD in the structure of respiratory diseases in HIV patients and the course of these comorbidities among hospitalized patients with HIV infection. Methods. A continuous longitudinal retrospective study was conducted in the Holy Great Martyr George the Victorious Novokuznetsk City Clinical Hospital No.2 and included all HIV patients with respiratory diseases (n = 185) hospitalized in the therapeutic department in 2017 - 2018. About 2% of population in the Kemerovo region (with the population 2.7 million people) is known to be HIV-infected. The regional COPD incidence is 124.7/100 000. Results. COPD was diagnosed in 19 (10.3%) of all HIV patients hospitalized with respiratory diseases. 73.7% of patients with COPD were aged ≤ 40 years, the mean age was 37.6 ± 5.0 years. All patients (100.0%) were known to have smoking and intravenous drug use as potential risk factors for the development and progression of COPD. The ART coverage was low (21.1%). 68.5% of patients with COPD had severe bronchial obstruction with a decrease in FEV1 < 50% of predicted values (GOLD grades III - IV). 73.7% of the patients were assigned to COPD group B, the rest 26.3% - to group D. In 31.6% of patients, the main cause of hospitalization was COPD itself, in 68.4% - COPD combined with other lung diseases (community-acquired pneumonias, septic embolism, tuberculosis and pneumocystosis). The CD4-lymphocyte count in cases of COPD combined with other respiratory diseases (median 214.0 cell/μl) was lower than in COPD as the only respiratory disease (median 495.5 cells/μl) (p = 0,014). Conclusion. The socio-economic significance of both HIV-infection and COPD argues the further study of the course and treatment of COPD in persons with HIV-infection. © 2021 Medical Education. All rights reserved.

Viktorova I.B. 1 , Khanin A.L. 1 , Zimina V.N. 2 , Dadyka I.V.3 , Gorjaeva M.O.3
Medical Education
Номер выпуска
  • 1 Novokuznetsk State Institute for Further Training of Physicians, Branch Campus, The Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Further Professional Education, Russian Medical Academy of Continuous Professional Education, The Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation, Dr. Stroiteley 5, Novokuznetsk, 654005, Russian Federation
  • 2 The Peoples' Friendship University, Ministry of Science and Higher Education of Russia, ul. Miklukho-Maklaya 6, Moscow, 117198, Russian Federation
  • 3 Novokuznetsk Branch of the State Budgetary Healthcare Institution, The Kemerovo Region “Аcademician L.S.Barbarash Kemerovo Regional Clinical Cardiology Dispensary”, ul. Kuznetsova 35, Novokuznetsk, 654005, Russian Federation
Ключевые слова
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; HIV-infection; Immunosuppression
Дата создания
Дата изменения
Постоянная ссылка

Другие записи